- This event has passed.
Environmental Resource Fair 2023
August 26 @ 12:00 PM - 2:00 PMFree
Cook County Commissioner Kevin Morrison to host free in-person Environmental Resource Fair
Fair will feature family-friendly activities aimed at helping people make their communities greener, cleaner, and more sustainable
SCHAUMBURG, Ill. – Aug, 15th, 2023 – Cook County Commissioner Kevin Morrison (District 15) will host a free in-person Environmental Resource Fair on Saturday, Aug. 26th, from noon to 2 p.m. to help Cook County residents learn how to protect the environment. The fair will be held at Rahlfs Woods (1350 S Park Ave, Streamwood, IL 60107) and feature a wide variety of family-friendly events and activities.
“As we continue to see the effects of climate change worsening, we all must do our part to protect the environment and work toward a greener future,” Commissioner Morrison said. “Whether it’s learning about solar panels, monarchs and pollinators, or how to save money on energy bills, the Environmental Resource Fair will have something for everyone. We can provide people with the knowledge they need to make their communities more sustainable.”
Each co-sponsor will have a table set up with information and activities. The fair is co-sponsored by Metropolitan Water Reclamation District Commissioner Eira Corral Sepúlveda, Poplar Creek Library District, Streamwood Park District, the Cook County Department of Environment and Sustainability, the Cook County MEDS Disposal Initiative, Ride Illinois, Schaumburg Monarch Initiative, Trickster Cultural Center, the Village of Streamwood.
The fair will be held inside the Poplar Creek Library if there is inclement weather.
Events and activities will include:
- Cook County Department of Environment and Sustainability: will have information on EVs, Energy Efficiency, Recycling and the Pledge to Conserve Cook with giveaways.
- Cook County MEDS Disposal Initiative: brochures in a variety of languages about how and where to properly dispose of expired or unused medications, so they don’t end up in our landfills.
- MWRD: to provide Tree saplings, Milkweeds, “Where Does It Go” Children’s Book (English, Spanish, Chinese versions), Rain barrels, Agency Overview magazine, Doing Business with MWRD pamphlet, Hand sanitizers, and sunglasses.
- Poplar Creek Public Library: Provide a bibliography of books on the environment.
- Ride Ilinois: will provide materials such as cards with info about their BikeSafetyQuiz.
- Streamwood Park District: Will be passing out free litter pickers and reusable bags, along with some hands-on activities showing the impact of plastic use/littering.
- Schaumburg Monarch Initiative: Learn how to support Monarch Butterflies.
- My office will be helping distribute Native plant seeds along with ‘how to draw a bird’ pamphlets/instructions, and Chicago Wilderness species of concern templates to color.